Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Facilitating Online Learning... The First Week


It is the first week of Facilitating Online Learning which is the second course in the sequence to Online Teaching Certification. I am required to sign up to act as a facilitator for a week in the class. I will be expierencing the instructor role of responding to asynchronous discussion threads with feedback that is informative and moves the discussion toward further learning using facilitation strategies taught in the course. In addition, I will be delivering a synchronous virtual classroom session on Wimba. The session I signed up for is called "Common Problems In Facilitating" which asks me to apply information learned throughout the course to solve common problems encountered in online teaching.

How do I feel about this assignment? Like someone pushed me in the deep end of the pool.

I am excited to have a chance to facilitate and look forward to the experience. I feel confident that I can handle Wimba, and other technical issues. However, I am concerned about the subject I will be teaching. I find it daunting to be asked to facilitate a subject where I am currently a student and lack expertise. I expect this will be the most difficult aspect of the assignment for me. I definitely expect to find this exercise challenging yet rewarding.

My plan is learn from my fellow students while being supportive of their efforts. In addition, I intend to PREPARE. I believe that the best thing I can do to combat my anxiety is take the course one day at a time, and work hard.

It is time to dive in!

No comments:

Post a Comment